About Department of Mechanical Engineering
Mechanical engineering is an engineering discipline that applies the principles of physics and materials science for analysis, design, manufacturing, and maintenance of mechanical systems. It is the branch of engineering which deals with the generation and application of heat and mechanical power and the design, production and operation of machines and tools.It is one of the oldest and broadest engineering disciplines.
The Department of Mechanical Engineering, KIT offers the following programs:
BTech - Mechanical Engineering – Intake 60 ( 4 YEAR REGULAR PROGRAM)
Diploma- Mechanical Engineering (Production)- Intake 60 ( 3 YEAR REGULAR PROGRAM )
- Department of Mechanical Engineering prepares students from day 1 from the industry point of view and enforces practice-based teaching.
- Students are given experiential learning and taught about latest advancements in the field of Mechanical Engineering through guest lectures, industry visits and, workshops.
- As a student of KIT, you will be skilled at industry-specific software like AUTO CAD, MATLAB, SOLID WORKS, CREO/Pro-E, CNC Simulation etc..
- Our curriculum is industry-endorsed and rigorously designed to help you acquire the right skills.
- You will get the chance to be a part of international car design and hybrid vehicle design competitions like Effi-cycle, Asian Solar Challenge, Go-Kart, etc.
Classes of Mechanical Engineering Department run on the first floor of B-Block. It has well equipped air-conditioned classrooms, projectors & can comfortably seat up to 120 students. Classrooms of Mechanical engineering department are well equipped with premium audio systems which improve speech intelligibility, comprehension and retention through proper engineering. The classrooms have space enough to conduct some in-class group activities to enhance student interaction and confidence.
- Manufacturing Processes Lab
- Design and Simulation Lab
- Thermodynamics Lab
- Fluid Mechanics Lab
- Material Testing Lab
- Heat & Mass Transfer Lab
- Refrigeration & Air – conditioning Lab
- Computer Aided Machine Drawing Lab
- Computational Fluid Dynamics
- Characterisation of Metals, Alloys and Composite materials
- Machining of Metals, Alloys and Composite materials
- Heat Treatment of Metals
- Thermal Sciences
- Renewable Energy Harvesting
- Corrosion Engineering
- Non-Traditional Machining
- Industrial Engineering
- Supply Chain
- Electro kinetics
- Microbial Fuel Cell Technology: Bio- Electricity and wastewater treatment, Industrial wastewater treatment and its reuse
- Composite Material: Agro- waste, Natural fiber
- Biodiesel:Waste vegetable oil based biodiesel.
Dr. Kumar Sonu
Mr. Pradeep Kumar Sachan
Mr. Naveen Srivastava
Mr. Prince Kumar Singh
Mr. Sachin Jain
Mr. Suraj Shah
Mr. Vikash Pandey
- List of Publications
- Syed, Z, Sonu, K., Sogani, M. (2021). Cattle Manure Management using Microbial Fuel Cells for Green Energy Generation. Biofuels, Bio-products and Bio-refining, DOI: https://doi.org/10.1002/bbb.2293 (IF:4.102)
- Sonu, K., Sogani, M., & Syed, Z. (2021). Integrated Constructed Wetland‐Microbial Fuel Cell using Biochar as Wetland Matrix: Influence on Power Generation and Textile Wastewater Treatment. ChemistrySelect, 6(32), 8323-8328. (IF:2.109)
- Sonu, K., Sogani, M., & Sharma, M. K. (2021). Performance evaluation of plant microbial fuel cell with Epipremnum aureum plant using composite anode made of corn cob and carbon rod. International Journal of Environmental Studies, 1-12. (Cite Score:1.9)
- Syed Z, Sogani M, Dongre A, Kumar A, Sonu K, Sharma G, Gupta A B. Bioelectrochemical systems for environmental remediation of estrogens: A review and way forward. Science of The Total Environment. 2021 Mar 18:146544. (IF:7.96)
- Sonu K, Sogani M, Syed Z, Dongre A, Sharma G. Improved decolorization of dye wastewater and enhanced power output in the electrically stacked microbial fuel cells with H2O2 modified corncob anodes. Environ Prog Sustainable Energy. 2021; ep13638. https://doi.org/10.1002/ ep.13638. (IF:2.43)
- Sonu, K., Sogani, M., Syed, Z., Dongre, A., & Sharma, G. (2020). Enhanced Decolorization and Treatment of Textile Dye Wastewater Through Adsorption on Acid Modified Corncob Derived Biochar. ChemistrySelect, 5(39), 12287-12297. (IF:2.109)
- Sonu, K., Sogani, M., Syed, Z., Dongre, A., & Sharma, G. (2020). Effect of Corncob Derived Biochar on Microbial Electroremediation of Dye Wastewater and Bioenergy Generation. ChemistrySelect, 5(31), 9793-9798. (IF:2.109)
- Syed, Z., Sonu, K., Dongre, A., Sharma, G., & Sogani, M. (2020). A review on Hydroxamic Acids: Widespectrum Chemotherapeutic Agents: International Journal of Biology and Biomedical Engineering. Volume 14. DOI: 10.46300/91011.2020.14.12. (Cite Score:0.6)
- Sonu, K., Syed, Z., & Sogani, M. (2020). Up-scaling microbial fuel cell systems for the treatment of real textile dye wastewater and bioelectricity recovery. International Journal of Environmental Studies, 1-11. DOI: 10.1080/00207233.2020.1736438. (Cite Score:1.9)
- Sonu K, Syed Z, Sogani M, (2019) Microbial Fuel Cell in Domestic Wastewater Treatment Plant – An Innovative Step towards Energy Generation and Waste Reduction. J Sci Ind Res Vol 78, August 2019: 555-557. (IF:1.056)
- Syed Z, Sogani M, Sonu K, Dongre A (2019) Bioelectrical Systems for Removal of Endocrine Disrupting Compounds from Waste Water: A Review. Global Journal of Engineering Science and Researches6(2): February 2019 doi: 10.5281/zenodo.2558191
- Syed Z, Sonu K, Dongre A, Sogani M (2021) Assessing the Surface Water Quality of Ana Sagar Lake and its treatment via Bioremediation. “Community Based Research and Innovations in Civil Engineering (CBRICE) 2021”, Manipal University Jaipur, India, March 18-19, 2021.
- Sonu K, Sogani M, Syed Z (2020) Alkaline Modification of Used Carbon-Rod Anodes for Restoring Power Generation by Human Urine in Microbial Fuel Cells, 1st Virtual International Conference on Advancement in Nanotechnology, Kingston Engineering College, Vellore, Tamil Nadu, India, September 11-12, 2020.
- Syed Z, Sonu K, Dongre A, Sogani M (2020) Isolation and Characterization of a Novel Electrogenic Microbe: Potential Candidate for use in Microbial Fuel Cell. “SPARC Indo-Belgium workshop”, IIT Kharagpur, India, February 26-27, 2020.
- Sonu K, Syed Z, Dongre A, Sogani M (2019) A Cost Effective Small Scale Microbial Fuel Cell System for Bio-electricity Generation with Simultaneous Dye Wastewater Treatment, “25th National and 3rd International ISHMT-ASTFE, Heat and Mass Transfer Conference”, IIT Roorkee, Uttarakhand, India, December 28-31, 2019.
- Sonu K, Syed Z, Dongre A, Sogani M (2019) Effect of Bio-char on Real Textile Dye Wastewater Treatment and Energy Production in a Microbial Fuel Cell, “International Exergy, Energy and Environmental Symposium”, SRM, Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India, July14-18, 2019. ISBN: 978-93-5382-239-2.
- Syed Z, Dongre A, Sonu K, Sogani M (2019) Microbial Fuel Cells – An Emerging Technology for Wastewater Treatment. “National Conference on Biotechnology and Environment for Sustainable Development” Dr. B. Lal Inst. of Biotechnology, Jaipur, India, March 29-30, 2019.
- Sonu K, Syed Z, Dongre A, Sogani M, Sharma M K, (2019) Reuse of Solid Waste Material in Microbial Fuel Cell System for Bioelectricity Generation with Simultaneous Dye Wastewater Treatment. “National Conference on Biotechnology and Environment for Sustainable Development” Dr. B. Lal Inst. of Biotechnology, Jaipur, India, March 29-30, 2019.
- Syed Z, Sogani M, Dongre A, Sonu K (2018) Bioelectrical Systems for removal of Bioactive Chemicals from Wastewater. “International Conference of Waste Management 2018”, Manipal University Jaipur, Jaipur, India, October 1-2, 2018.
- Dongre A, Sonu K, Sogani M, Vyas A D (2016) Generation of Electricity from RO concentrate Using Microbial Fuel Cell. National Symposium on “Water Purification and Reject Management (WPRM-2016)”, MNIT, Jaipur (India), November 12, 2016.
- Sonu K (2016) Comparison of the output voltage characteristic pattern for sewage sludge, kitchen waste & cow dung in single chamber single electrode microbial fuel cell at controlled temperature, “2nd International Conference On Sustainable Energy and Built Environment”, VIT University, Vellore, India, March 10-12,2016.
Patents filed/Granted with details
- Sogani M, Sonu K (2021) Bioelectroremediation of Textile Dye Effluent: Using Cow Dung and Corncob Anode (India Patent Application No.202011002321). The Indian Patent Office Kolkata. 23 July 2021.
- Sogani M, Sonu K (2020) Microbial Fuel Cell with Corn-cob Anode (Indian Design No. 323304-001). The Indian Patent Office Kolkata. 09 Sept. 2020.
Books Published/Chapters contributed
- Dongre, A., Sogani, M., Sonu, K., Syed, Z., Sharma, G. (2020). Treatment of Dairy Wastewaters: Evaluating Microbial Fuel Cell Tools and Mechanism. Environmental Change and Sustainability (Edited by Dr. Suriyanarayanan Sarvajayakesavalu and Dr. Pisit Charoensudjai) Intech Open. DOI: 10.5772/intechopen.93911
- Sogani M, Sonu K, Dongre A (2017) Treatment of Industrial Wastewater Containing Amides Using Novel Bacterium in Semi-Continuous Reactor. Civil Engineering Notes: Frontiers in Wastewater Treatment and Modelling. (Edited by G. Mannina, University of Palarmo, Italy), Springer International Publishing, Pg. 354-359, ISBN: 978-3-319-58420-1